Monday, January 16, 2006

A Patton To Your Play

2nd in the Flashmob game last night on Betfair, which in that game (the best darn small stakes mtt anywhere) is an excellent result. It was not without a little controversy, and some of you may have already read a rogue report on another players blog quoting my "poor play". One mans poor play is another mans read on a style of play, is what I say. Each to their own.

Anyway, here is what happened with some value added thoughts for your consumption:

Table "FLASHMOB 1697280 - 1" Seat 5 is the button.
Seat 2: snooper (6440 in chips)
Seat 4: jack high (3260 in chips)
Seat 5: emzo (8335 in chips)
Seat 7: radixuk (4090 in chips)
Seat 8: ajcairns (3375 in chips)
radixuk: posts the ante 50
ajcairns: posts the ante 50
snooper: posts the ante 50
jack high: posts the ante 50
emzo: posts the ante 50
radixuk: posts small blind 200
ajcairns: posts big blind 400 So 850 in the Pot before anyone speaks
----- HOLE CARDS -----
dealt to ajcairns [Ac 9d]
snooper: folds
jack high: raises to 1200 My first thought here was that this was a textbook move to try and exert some pressure on me (being one of the two short stacks), plus previous experience playing jack high (steviep) as that this is exactly what he would be trying with any (half decent, but not a monster) hand.
emzo: folds
radixuk: folds
ajcairns: raises to 3325 and is all-in So, my thoughts here was to test his resolve and back up my hunch that stevie was sort of at it. I'm also thinking that if I get a call with anything other than a high pocket pair I am in with a decent chance to take a decent pot and a shot at the money. I think I actually said out loud "Ace Rag"
jack high: is all-in 2010 Well he certainly has something... but I suppose he could be thinking exactly the same as me, which would make a lot of sense.
Returned uncalled bets 115 to ajcairns
----- FLOP ----- [8d 7c 9s]
----- TURN ----- [8d 7c 9s][Ts]
----- RIVER ----- [8d 7c 9s Ts][2h]
----- SHOW DOWN -----
ajcairns: shows [Ac 9d] (A Pair of Nines, Ace high)
jack high: shows [Ah 4h] (High Card Ace) Ahhhhh Ace Rag, sweet.
ajcairns collects 6870 from Main pot

Now stevie on his blog firstly had me down for poor play (a little harsh mate) but a couple of paras later changes that to risky play (happy with that). I thought you were at it, you then thought I was at it. I am of the befief that you could/should have got away from calling my all in as you still had about 2k in chips to fight on with, and that was the biggest mistake in this hand as far as I can see. I also figured that if you really did have a monster you wouldnt have raised 3 x BB pre flop (respect to the 3xBB raise though).

My point is thus - I used my previous experiences playing against stevie (plus, I am often his railbird on msn once I have bombed out a tourney, and I have seen him make similar moves to this quite a few times before) - to deduce that this is exactly the way he would play it - this time I won, next time the "risk" may not pay off.

I eventually went on to knock out emzo who was going for a three timer which would have be a remarkable feat in this mtt, sorry mate not this time. Eventually lost out heads up to Snooper who took down the tourney at his first attempt, well played.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

jeez aj ...i just wanted a reply on my blog ...a post with my own title was more than i expected:).
it was a good game and i guess we were always going to clash being that we were both short stacked.
congrats on the 2nd well played and look forward to next weeks clash:)

Anonymous said...

Now im unbanned and playing on Betfair will be looking to add to my 1 Flashmob victory so ya both need to be bricking it ;)