Wednesday, August 30, 2006

A Night Out

Went to the Norwich Poker Club last night, in the local metropolis. A fairly seedy joint which consisted of a large mainly empty room with about 7 poker tables and a couple of pool tables and thats about it.

The comp was a £10 rebuy, with two 50 minute levels of rebuys and then a double add on. The table I sat on for the rebuy period was reasonable maniac free, with a decent bunch who were there for a game of cards and not to spend loads on rebuying after a needless all in. Lost an all in with QQ to KK and rebought once, and at the end of the rebuys I was sat with 2675 (1000 starting stack), I took the double add on to take me to 4675, which just a little lower than average on the table.

Soon after the freezeout started, I managed to have a couple of double ups after a few spins of the table, plus had a few shots at the pots to no avail. The I managed to double up with AK holding up against 65 sooted, plus then knocked out two short stacks in one hand to get to about 25k (with about 25 players left, 50 started), which was about 10% of all the chips in the tourney (think it was 256000). This obviously left a couple of seats at the table and one of them (to my immediate left) was filled by a monster stack which was not good news. Even worse was that he was intent on heavily reraising me everytime I was in a pot. I soon got the message and went into the shell for a few spins of the table but by this time the blinds were up to 500/1000 and I was down to 13k. The serial raiser was deffo at it and a few times he had mucked his uncontested winning hand in such a way that his mates behind him could see what he was throwing, to which they all chuntered or chuckled, I was thinking he playing any high cards and wanted to catch him for a double up. Eventually I got dealt KcJc in the SB, serial raiser in the BB, this was to be my time. Everyone folded to me and I had already decided I would go all in if needed, but just raised about 3k to which he was already sussing out my stack size to put me all in. I called him and flips over A6o and he hits and an A on the flop to hammer the nails in the coffin lid and send me home.

I could have waited a bit longer, but six handed the blinds were spinning quick and I was getting shorter and shorter so am happy with the play above, just not the result. But hey thats poker, and if I was in his position with his stack I would have been taking everyone on too, as I had done to get to the 25k in the first place. The thing that bugs me most was I knew what he was doing but was powerless to do anything about it.

No comments: